Head of Group Health, Safety & Environment
Position: Head of Group Health, Safety & Environment
To promote, develop and establish a positive safety culture across the Group so that it can meet its legal requirements in terms of Health, Safety and Compliance.
To take responsibility for both Strategic and Operational matters relating to Health and Safety Planning and Management across the Group.
The position attracts a very competitive package, benefits include – Pension, Laptop, Phone, Ipad, Company Vehicle, Pre paid hotel card, 23 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, flexible working location.
Based at Propertyserve UK Head Office in Winchmore Hill, Nr Amersham but flexibility to work remotely as required. The role will involve National travel.
Propertyserve supports commercial landlords and managing agents that own or manage properties throughout the UK. The company helps to remove the logistical issues and risks associated with maintaining the fabric of the building, using sustainable procurement methods. It also focuses on making costs transparent, whilst reducing the risks associated with CIS, health & safety and debt liability to the landlord.
Handling all liaisons between contractors, facilities managers and tenants for maintenance issues, Propertyserve aims to offer a cost and time effective service for all parties. The company provides on-going supplier management- greatly reducing the risk to property owner.
The Ideal candidate will:
- Hold an NVQ 3/4 in occupational health and safety/NEBOSH Diploma
- Be a member of IOSH.
- Hold a NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management or equivalent
- Be qualified in P402 Asbestos surveying and risk assessment or equivalent
- Be qualified in Level 2 Award in Fire Risk Assessment or equivalent
Be able to demonstrate the ability to show evidence of monitoring, reviewing, preparing and publishing policies and procedures that apply in multi-site operations. In addition evidence of the use of continuous improvement would be desirable.
The role requires excellent communication skills both verbal and written with strong negotiation skills to ensure that all departments & suppliers develop their Health and Safety compliance culture in a consistent manner.
The role will involve direct line management of two team members – Compliance Manager & Risk Assessor. It will also involve a hands on approach including National Travel and site visits.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and best practice. Provide updates on a monthly basis on all new or amended Health and Safety legislation associated with facilities related issues to all staff within Facilities as appropriate
- Establish, audit, monitor and maintain arrangements and guidance to ensure the Division complies with the legal requirements under the Construction Design and Management Regulations, including contractor competency.
- Establish procedures associated with health and safety training needs for Facilities Division and maintain records of training undertaken.
- Ensure that all accidents and near misses are reported and investigated in accordance with the University’s policies.
- Formulate and maintain the division’s health and safety policies, arrangements and procedures.
- Identify opportunities for continuous safety improvement within the Division and assist the Director and Senior Management Team in their implementation.
- Developing and executing health and safety plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines
- Preparing and enforcing policies to establish a culture of health and safety
- Evaluating practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law
- Conduct training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention
- Monitor compliance to policies and laws by inspecting employees and operations
- Supply chain Head office & Site Audits (circa 100 per annum)
- Conducting Building Fire, Asbestos, Health & Safety, DDA, EPC, Risk Assessment production (circa 100 per annum)
- Conducting asbestos surveys
- Internal H&S policy, process’, risk assessments
- Ad hoc site visits where required
- Ad hoc Supplier risk assessment review
- Environmental management
- Lead a project to Achieve group ISO18001 & 14001 accreditation
- Proven experience as safety manager
- Deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines
- Ability in producing reports and developing relevant policies
- Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Excellent organisational and motivational skill
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities
- BSc/BA in safety management or relevant field is preferred
- Full Clean UK License